Sources for 8b TTL keyboards (Keytronics)

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Dec 7 17:26:04 CST 2008

Tony Duell wrote:
>> On 6 Dec 2008 at 14:33, Kevin Schoedel wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know PIC, but for the AVR equivalent the host requirements are an
>>> RS-232 port and the ability to run gdb.
>> Later PICs have on-chip breakpoint debug communication via ICD (a 3-
>> wire interface)--and there is the ability to run ICE4000.
>>
>> There is at least one AVR open-source debug package that operates
>> through the SPI programming interface--using the same tool to program
>> and debug.
>
> Can you program and debug either or both of these chips without
> propietary hardware or software. In other words, is documentation for the
> following availalbe (without signing an NDA, etc )
>
> 1) How to send/receive words to the chip (what lines to wiggle and how,
> what voltages to apply, etc)
>
> 2) The binary instruction set
>
> 3) THe debugging commands/responses

AVR will quite happily send you several kilos of dead trees detailing
all this and more, if you ask them.  I find that since I'm generally
carrying several kilos of laptop already, the PDF editions will suffice.

> Could I, if I wanted, make the programmer and write the software from
> scratch?

Since avr-gcc and avrdude are already available under the GPL and fully
documented, there's no real need to reinvent that particular wheel.

In short - if you wanted to program an AVR the "oldskool EPROM" way by
setting lines by hand and toggling VPP with a push switch, you could
(and I have seen this done!).  It may be slightly more worth your time
and effort to learn how to use the existing tools ;-)

Gordon