68k homebuilts

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 12 16:19:26 CST 2008

On 12 Dec 2008 at 14:31, bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca wrote:

> That is 3 opcode bits  and a indirect bit. Going to 4 opcode bits
> gives you 32K of memory and would make a nice small machine
> that dates around the early 60's.
>
> The problem is that I want to have local function variables, and that
> requires

I suppose that a 16-bit (or 20-bit 3-(16/32 register) address design
would be too complex.  But it would give you the flexibility you need
without an explicitly-implemented hardware stack.  Make one of the
registers PC and branches get interesting.

Who needs registers or indirect addressing anyway?  IA was an
*option* on the CADET.    Instruction modification was a way of life.

Cheers,
Chuck