68k homebuilts

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 17:50:30 CST 2008

John Floren wrote:
> After doing some looking I thought I'd go with 68020 if I were to do
> 32-bit, or 68000 for 16-bit. I may take Tony's excellent advice and
> try something even simpler first, if I can get my hands on the Art of
> Electronics books... they're on Amazon, I'll probably just have to
> buckle down and shell out the money.

My vote is for processor-from-scratch.  Designing and building a simple
RISC architecture into a CPLD is still one of the most fun exercises
I've ever undertaken.

BTW, my machine runs FORTH.  Most of the FORTH environment consists of,
as has been suggested as a good method, off-the-shelf FORTH primitives
written in FORTH.

Peace...  Sridhar