8008 chips

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 15 15:08:58 CST 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Jos Dreesen / Marian Capel wrote:
>>   First, I know approximately nothing about old Intel chips, so
>> forgive any incoherence.
>>   A friend of mine just came across a couple of Intel 8008 chips.
>> Apparently, some ebay sellers think they're solid gold.
>
> It might be the first microprocessor, (i4004 is just a
> controller...), but what really made the microcomputer possible is
> the DRAM. Why dont people collect i1103's ?

   Not to be argumentative, but...What about the i4004 makes you
think it's just a controller?  It seems rather microprocessor-like to
me.

   Further, DRAMs have always had better density (one transistor and
one capacitor per bit, versus, what, four transistors or so?) but I
really don't think it's fair to suggest that microcomputers wouldn't
have existed without them.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire