HTML sub-document references (was # in href's)

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Thu Dec 25 10:16:25 CST 2008

Tim Shoppa wrote:
> A future project would probably be a way of turning all the different
> variants of RUNOFF (and the variants span 3 decades at least, 4 or 5
> decades if you count those who still used it in the 90's and 2000's)
> into HTML with good invariant content-based subreferences.

I'm not sure how much (if any) penetration the new fangled "Digital
Standard Runoff" made in the PDP-10 world.  Other than that, I can't
recall having much trouble formatting documents of all ages with
1980's vintage PDP-10 RUNOFF (and I liked looking at old stuff, even
then).  I remember finding some TENEX design documents when I was at
DEC.  I recently regave them to Dan Murphy, we talked about how to
render them for the web, and I remembered a package I once used that
reads RUNOFF and outputs troff:

ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/darwin/runoff.troff

Sources for manuals probably have directives for producing indices,
which would be useful for producing HTML anchors.

But the MACLISP manual wasn't written in RUNOFF, was it?!