OT: HTML queries (was Re: PDF datasheets)

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 14:01:09 CST 2008

Alexander Schreiber wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 06:35:24PM -0800, Fred Cisin wrote:
>> I guess that "modern" HTML has evolved to the point where one MUST use an
>> HTML generating program, and no more tampering with the raw HTML;
>
> Now that's nonsense. There are plenty of people for whom "HTML editor"
> translates to vim, emacs or another TEXT_EDITOR_OF_CHOICE.

Indeed. Actually, I usually 'first pass' code generation by simply doing "cat
 > foo.html" and only use an editor (normally vi, occasionally Kate) when I
need to make changes*. But then I detest both complex HTML and complex website
interfaces; I believe in HTML being used to add a little structure so as to
better convey the information within - it's not the ideal mechanism for "busy"
graphics-laden interactive interfaces (that it's the only mechanism we have
these days is beside the point :-)

* In my day it was uphill both ways etc. etc.

>> just as "nobody" writes Postscript.
>
> In that case, there are also quite a few nobodies around ...

Heh, yeah. It's been a long time since I've hacked postscript by hand, but I
have done it before.

cheers

Jules