4.3BSD Quasijarus

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Sun Dec 28 19:12:12 CST 2008

There aren't any schematics, but the installation manual is on
bitsavers.  If I were to do it, I'd look at the cache interface going
to the MK11 and just build a board that interfaces to that.  Putting
the memory on with an FPGA to do all of the timing/interfacing
shouldn't be too hard.  I'm doing something similar for regular Unibus
memory + ROMs + KW11L + 2 SLUs .  It's basically it's an FRAM, FPGA
(Spartan 3E), level shifters (3.3v to/from 5v) and Unibus
transceivers.  All of the work is in the FPGA written in verilog.  It
shouldn't be hard to do something similar to emulate a full set of
MK11 memory to the cache interface (probably using high density SRAM
rather than FRAM).  Depending upon the density of the SRAM(s) it might
even be possible to do it as a quad board vs hex.  The only thing
coming from the 11/70 backplane is power and ground (for slot 19).
All signaling is from the ribbon cables connected to the cache boards
(4 cables).

TTFN - Guy