Suggestions for VT103?

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Sun Dec 28 21:53:23 CST 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> What you are after is rosin-core lead-based solder around 60/40 or
>> 63/37 tin/lead, with a diameter around 0.5mm (.020") to 0.8mm (.032").
>
> I highly recommend 63/37 over 60/40.  I find it easer to work with.

   I had the dubious distinction of being a "Certified Solder Operator"
for TI's Lubbock, TX plant (in, what, '82?).  Although the training I
got there spoiled me forever in some ways, it's been invaluable over the
years.

   One of the things that stuck was the "true purpose" of eutectic
solder.  We always used 60/40 for original or initial soldering, and
eutectic for repairs or "oversolders".  If you have a good iron and a
good eye (or, these days, good Optivisor), the flow-point difference
allows doing new work without disturbing old joints.

	Doc