Suggestions for VT103?

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Mon Dec 29 08:08:57 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 08:57:38AM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Diane Bruce wrote:
> >On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 09:26:24PM -0500, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> >>On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
> >>Sure, but I'd never _not_ do a project because all I had on hand was
> >>60/40, though.
> >
> >As you know, the biggest difference is the lower melting point of 63/37,
> >that does make it easier to work with.
>
> It's not the lower melting point.  It's that the mixture is eutectic.

Yes I know it is eutectic. But for newbies the lower temperature is much
easier on the board, one tends to lift fewer foils this way. It's also
much easier with a decent soldering station to not lift foils, but if you
don't have such, a lower melting point means the newbie tends not to overdo it.
Of course, if you are soldering some heavy duty backplane, which I believe
was the start of this thread, I suppose it's not as much of a problem.
But I'd still recommend not using lead/acid solder for a backplane. ;-)

> Peace...  Sridhar

- 73 Diane VA3DB
--
- db at FreeBSD.org db at db.net http://www.db.net/~db