uIEC/SD == AWESOME!

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Tue Dec 30 17:35:09 CST 2008

Tony Duell wrote:

> The HP drives work at a much lower level. The file system is managed by
> the host computer. The commands to the disk drive unit read/write bocks
> (essentially the same thign as sectors). It's up to the host to turn
> those into a file system.

This is not as problematic as it may seem.  The uIEC can auto-update the
firmware, so I could simply write a special version of the SW for
HPIG/GPIB (even different flavors for the various command sets) and the
owner can simply place the flavor desired onto a flash drive, turn on
the unit, and it will program itself with the correct DOS.

> You could probaly find an HP150 or an HP9000/200 machine fairly easily
> on E-bay.

I am hopeful someone finds enough value in the possibility to provide a
unit for testing.  Still, this is very premature, since I still need to
get the PET IEEE stuff working.
> Now I don;'t know the exact details, but I read (I think on one of the
> HP9845 pages) that somebody had written an HP drive simulator programs
> for PCs fitted with an HPIB card (I believe said program has source
> available if you want to look for hints on the command set, etc). But one
> thing that this weg page siad was that it couldn't run with a 9914-based
> HPIB card, since HP did something that was essentially against the
> standard and which the 9914 couldn';t do. I do know that HP used the 9914
> in their computers quite a bit, but that the drives used the Intel 8291.
> Of course if you're planning on bit-banging the HPIB protocol on the pins
> of a microcontroller (I think you need a little external logic, there is
> one transition where you can't take arbitrarily long to change one of the
> signals), then this won;'t be a problem.

It'll be a bit-bang approach, so save HW costs, but I can wire up some
TTL logic if needed.

Jim