making backups of IRIX media

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Mon Feb 4 10:38:50 CST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 02:52 -0700, Andrew Warkentin wrote:
> joe lobocki wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >I need help making backups of my valuable IRIX media. I have heard that you
> >can use CDRWIN, and i did, which made a decent backup, except I couldnt boot
> >from the copy, and CDRWIN wont work properly on my laptop. is there any good
> >windows based program that would copy and image my IRIX media and keep them
> >bootable? if none for windows, i do have ubuntu linux loaded, although not
> >compatible with my network devices so it is rarely used and cant download
> >things. thanks!!
> >-Joe
> >

> The easiest way to dump them to images would be to use "cat /dev/cdrom >
> image.iso" or similar in a shell under Linux.

If you insist on Win32, I believe something called "MagicISO"
http://www.magiciso.com/ should read the disks completely. However, its
shareware 30$.  (I've not actually tried it /w Irix disks, so YMMV)

But the Linux method is the free one.  Just use something fairly
modern /w read-write NTFS support (if you need it) in the rescue image,
and do the cat/dd route.