IBM 6094 Lighted Programmable Function Keypad - bulk buy on eBay

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Fri Feb 15 08:01:30 CST 2008

I don't have a lot of debug equipment.  Make that none.  An oscilloscope
is on the list of things to learn and purchase.

I am well versed in serial communications, and used a breakout box and a
multimeter.  I confirmed the pinout on the connector, and used the
frequency counter feature of the meter to see if the bits for the data
lines were wiggling - nothing.  In that case, I don't think a better
tool is going to tell me more.

I remember that I traced it back to the 8031 derivative, and that seemed
to be the source of the problem.  It was holding all of the data pins
either high or low.  The data pins in turn were fed to a Maxim IC to get
them to proper serial levels, but by then it was too late ..  bad input
equals bad output.

Details can be found in the list archives ..  it was just this past summer.

Mike