Computer in 1900,

Gavin Melville gavin.melville at acclipse.co.nz
Fri Feb 15 19:33:56 CST 2008

Hi,

I had looked at relays, and while there certainly were relays in 1900, I
doubt they were very good in terms of bounce, actuation time etc.   The
building where I work has an Otis made lift dating from 1980, done
completely with relays.  It's fairly unreliable, and a lot of the relays
have to be fiddled with springs, copper disks, iron slugs etc.  (Some of
them were designed that way, and some just needed it to make them work).

I've seen the stuff on the relay computer, and I suspect that simply
would not have worked in 1900, but works due to modern relays.