RFC: Floppy reader/writer project

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Thu Feb 21 14:35:19 CST 2008

----------Original Message:
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:10:17 -0800
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Floppy reader/writer project (recovering UniPlus
	Unix for	the Lisa)

In my humble opinion, what's really needed is a quick and reliable
non-contact method of recovering floppy data.  Perhaps one of the
more modern head technologies, such as GMR might be suitable for a
head that doesn't contact the media.  Or maybe we need to revive the
"magnasee and laser" method.

Increasingly, I'm seeing 5.25" diskettes with media flaking.  There's
no way that I'm going to stick one of those into a standard floppy
drive, even after baking.

It might be that we're starting to approach the "use by" date with
some brands and need to resort to other approaches.

Cheers,
Chuck

Just a thought, for a one-or-two-off:

Is there anything with which you could coat the disk surface to protect it
that would be cohesive enough to hold down any flakes? Spray-on Urethane?
Saran Wrap? Research is needed... ;-)

mike