RFC: Floppy reader/writer project (recovering UniPlus Unix for the Lisa)

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Fri Feb 22 08:23:47 CST 2008

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Doc Shipley wrote:

>> I keep wondering if the disk media could be "mounted" like a specimen
>> on a slide.  Then a flying head wouldn't be an issue, and multiple
>> passes become possible.
>
>   Maybe something like the caddies used for old-style CD-ROM drives?

   No, that wouldn't be much different from the original jacket.  I was
thinking more like actual slides.  A thick rigid base and a very thin,
hard cap, with the media immobile between them.  The whole assembly
would turn in the reader.  I don't know whether the media could actually
be read through that, but if so, it would cure a world of ills.

   SS disks could be permanently mounted; DS you'd have to be able to
remove and reverse the disk.

	Doc