a bad day for vaxen

Dave Dunfield dave06a at dunfield.com
Sun Feb 24 05:57:37 CST 2008

> yeah I dont have a dremel, and I'm not good that way.

It's not as hard as you might think - all you need to do is
grind down one side of the connector - you can do this with
a file... I usually use a disk sander because the table gives
me a nice straight edge - then I dress the edges with flush
cutters. All you need the dremel for is to "adjust" the tab
because the one on an ethernet connector is too wide.

Another solution is to use a 6-conductor RJ-11 phone cable,
and simply cut off the tab - this doesn't lock in, however
it works well enough for testing purposes.

> it'd be best if I could just test some known good cables

If you have a multimeter or continuity tester, you can buzz
out your cables and see if they work. The pinout I sent should
give you a prerry good idea of what should go where.

> even with a monitor hooked up, and let it wait over 5 minutes I got nothing.
> even 15 minutes and still nothing.

Definately should have seen something by then.

> one system I get a "blue" screen and thats it
> on another i get the color test patterns, then nothing
> the third i get a black screen and monitor says its receiving no signal.

Have you checked the position of the console switch?
Also, some VAXen require certain pins bridged on the console
connector.

What are the status lights doing? They will tell you how far it
gets into it's startup routine.

Dave

--
dave06a (at)    Dave Dunfield