EBAY Alternatives, was Re: eBay Monkey Business

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:08:39 CST 2008

Marvin Johnston wrote:
> I suggested to Sellam that NOW would be a good time to get the Vintage Computer
> Marketplace back online, but it hasn't happened yet.

I suspect he's rather busy - he always seems to have a million things on the
go at once...

> Since I haven't kept track,
> are there other classic computer related places to buy and sell? A "yes" answer
> should be followed by the sites URL :).

My list is something like:

   This mailing list
   Various manufacturer-specific vintage mailing lists
   Various manufacturer-specific vintage newsgroups
   Local (regional) newsgroups
   uk.comp.vintage newsgroup (is there a US equivalent?)
   Freecycle
   Various computer/technology museums
   Simple word-of-mouth

I'll add the VCM to that once it's back up (and now that I'm in the US - I
don't think it was ever particularly effective in other countries)

... it's surprising how effective the latter is when you're "known" as a
collector of xyz's systems, both for acquiring and getting rid of
hardware/software/docs.

I really don't like ebay. The selling experience is just too time-consuming
(to do right, anyway - i.e. proper testing / research / photography /
shipping). I've never bought anything on there because I'm yet to see anything
that I wanted badly enough to justify the over-inflated prices (that may
change now that I'm stuck in the middle of a vintage computing black hole :-)

cheers

Jules