anyone do vaxstation repairs?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Tue Feb 26 21:27:09 CST 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 06:18, Alexandre Souza wrote:
> > The continuing ability to make a living at something I'd spent several
> > decades
> > acquiring and honing my skills for would be nice,  too...
>
>     Hey, but where is the fun on that?
>
>     I'm not old enough for saying "being there, done that". I'm only 33.
> But the talk was the same:
>
>     - I'm well versed in tubes. What will I do with these transistors?
>     - Oh, these chip modules are hell! I miss transistors!
>     - These new I.C.s are so hard to understand!!! Life was easier with
> modules!
>     - My God, these SMD parts are made in hell!!! It was so good when I had
> to change DIP ICs!

Ah,  but I do know tubes, transistors,  chips,  logic-based stuff,  and even
microprocessor/microcontroller-based stuff as well.

The problem is that the amount of work needed out there in the market has gone
way downward with each step in that progression,  with less and less of it to
be found as time goes on.  Most of what used to be around here for repair
shops and such don't exist any more.

>     I understand things got way harder. But there is always a way. New
> things to learn and new frontiers. The journey is the reward....but does it
> pays the bills? :oD

That last part is the issue,  sometimes.  I do keep on learning new stuff all
the time,  and I look for situations to apply it in,  but the job market at
least as far as I've been able to find anywhere around here with regard to
someone who's self-taught flat out stinks!

But I'll keep on looking...

-
M Dakin