1st stage loader for IMSAI - need ascii to binary conversion

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:21:16 CST 2008

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Things are getting to the point where uCs even beat discrete logic in
> the area of power consumption.

Well, in terms of power, reliability, and physical footprint the uC can
probably equal a logic IC solution.

Where it loses out I suppose is maintainability; keeping the necessary
software and source code obtainable across the years may prove to be a big
headache, whereas with logic ICs there's no code to lose and no other software
needed (various programmable logic ICs excepted :)

In terms of fault diagnosis for simple things like the FSK application, I
doubt there's much difference - a fault can just as easily be traced to
"something's wrong with the uC" as it can "something's wrong with that LS
logic chip".