AS/400 a "VAX killer"?

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Tue Jan 8 19:27:20 CST 2008

I don't know if IBM created the AS/400 as a VAX killer.  I doubt it.

The AS/400 is a direct descendent of the S/38.  The S/38 was designed
and built by the people who brought you the S/36, S/34, and earlier
machines.  The IBM plant that built those machines and related equipment
has been in Rochester MN since the late 1950s.

Both series of machines competed in the mid-range market.  I don't think
that IBM has 'won' the mid-range market with the AS/400 and iSeries.  I
think it is just the last player standing in that market, with Unix
machines having done serious damage to all of the players.

Mike