HP 9845 Microprocessors

Micah Mabelitini accutron at woh.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 12:37:16 CST 2008

I'm trying to nail down a few bits of information regarding the various
hybrid microprocessors contained in the earlier versions of the HP 9845.
I recently purchased a large lot of 9845 boards, looks like most of one
machine plus the PPU from a second machine. All told, I have four hybrid
microprocessors. Two are the 107-pin AEC-variant 5061-3001 processor,
one on a revision-A PPU card and one on a revision-B PPU card. The other
two are both mounted on a single card, which is presumably a
pre-bitslice LPU. Of the two processors on this board, one is a
5061-3010, the other a 5061-3011. From what I understand, the -3010 is
the original hybrid used in the 9825, and I read something somewhere
that lead me to believe the -3011 is a microcode variant of the standard
-3010. Are both of these processors part of the LPU? Most sources refer
to the 9845 having two processors, the PPU and the LPU, and I haven't
found any that say the LPU itself actually consists of two processors.
Is the -3011 just a microcode variant of the -3010? Also, are there any
microcode variations between the -3001 on a revision-A PPU card and one
on a revison-B PPU card?

Regards,

Micah Mabelitini