VMS 6.2 or older install media needed.

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Jan 20 12:04:51 CST 2008

On Sunday 20 January 2008 05:38, Antonio Carlini wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > It looks like in order to get VMS running on my 11/780, I'll need
> > to find install media for an older version than what I have now.
> > VMS 6.2 seems to be the newest version that will run.
>
> V6.2 might be  the latest supported version, but I suspect that they
> didn't do anything actively to make V7 fall over in a heap: they
> jus stopped spending the time and effort (== money) to make
> sure they could guarantee that both the remaining VAX-11/780
> customers could continue to enjoy full support :-)

In that case (I seem to have confirmed with simh's 11/780 simulator that
7.2 should boot), I probably need to locate and run some CPU
diagnostics...

For anyone who's interested, this is what happens when I try and boot
the 7.2 hobbyist cd (attached to an Emulex UC18 that came with my other
VAX), getting one of the three errors below:

-------------------------------
>>>HALT
        CPU HALTED
>>>UNJAM
>>>INIT
        INIT SEQ DONE
>>>D /I 11 20003800
>>>D R0 11
>>>D R1 3
>>>D R2 3F468
>>>D R3 1
>>>D R4 0
>>>D R5 10000000
>>>D FP 0
>>>START 20003000
        HALT INST EXECUTED
        HALTED AT 20003552
>>>E SP
        G  0000000E  00000200
>>>L VMB.EXE/S:@
        LOAD DONE, 00007200 BYTES LOADED
>>>S @

%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check
        HALT INST EXECUTED
        HALTED AT 00000029
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
        HALT INST EXECUTED
        HALTED AT 00000003

Pat