IBM RT 6150?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:37:42 CST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Jeff Brendle wrote:

> Yeah. I'd pick one up if you're interested. the ROMP chip was not much of a
> speed demon, but it is granddaddy to the RS6k and all that followed after.

If you can find the "Advanced Enhanced" CPU board, it runs at a whopping
12Mhz. and has 16MB of DRAM installed (no need for the extra memory
cards).

> And also remember that these things used funky ESDI drives, I think mostly
> Maxstor, I think they topped out at 320MB. Several quirks too about that
> ESDI, not everything could be made to work.

Per my prior post, it's possible to get older IDE drives working.  Never
could figure out how to boot from them, though.  Always used a floppy to
get to the BSD startup and kicked off the system from hard disk at that
point.

> I remember Ungermann-Bass thick
> ethernet cards and of course Token Ring were options. The megapixel console
> monitor had real slow graphics but it could use a Hercules card.

Ah. I didn't realize that!  I have a monochrome RT board with one of the
old RT "high def" mono displays.  Also, one of the wierd 3-board color
adapters (forget what it's called).

> AOS is a relatively pure 4.3 port but that might be harder to come by. Good
> luck!

Available if you poke around on the web.  There's a also a partially
completed BSD 4.4 port around if you look really hard.  It almost works
<g>.

n.b. All of the available C compilers have "quirks" that make development
work a real challenge!

For real rarity, there was an "RT on a card" that plugged into a few of
the later Microchannel boxen (Mod 80/85 I think) and let you dual boot DOS
and AOS.  Never was able to get ahold of this bugger.

Steve