A sign of the times. (Laserjet 4000s here)

Stroller classiccmp.org at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 04:19:19 CST 2008

On 26 Jan 2008, at 01:53, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> I've been using a couple of Panasonic laser printers for years; a KX-
> P4455 (PS/PCL) and a KX-P4451 (PCL).  ...
>
> The time came to replace the OPC drum in one of these--after pricing
> the remanufactured ones and checking the deals on eBay, it turned out
> not to be practical.  I found that I can get a factory refurb Brother
> 5240 from Staples.com for $40 shipped.   When it runs out of toner, I
> can just buy another one at that price (1200 DPI, 23 PPM and most
> important--a parallel interface).

*sigh*

I have a similar conundrum here.

My father & I have about half-a-dozen Laserjet 4000s which fail to
pick the paper properly. The problem can easily be isolated to the
rubber "pick up" roller at the front of the tray - measured with a
micrometer a good one is a hair's breadth larger in diameter than one
that is worn.

These are / were fantastic printers - I think the 4-series had a
monthly duty-cycle of 65,000 pages, so I assume these are similar in
specification. The HP engineers intended for this part to be easily
replaceable, and you can easily pick up a roller set on eBay.
Unfortunately the price comes to about £12 per tray - or perhaps £25
shipped for rubbers for both lower trays plus the manual feed pickup,
too - and these printers have a resale value of only £35.

I think it's tragic to be throwing out such decent & solidly-
constructed printers in favour of cheap plastic rubbish - in the
event a repair is necessary the kind of printers we can get for less
money will complain about disassembly with the "pling" of flying
broken-plastic sproggets - but it makes little economic sense to do
otherwise. I've been meaning the last week to try & find a source of
Laserjet rollers where I can purchase 10 or 20 at more sensible
rates, but I'm not overflowing with optimism.

I'm inclined to think that in a few years time our current
consumerist practices of throwing away hardware rather than repairing
it will begin once again to look foolish, but in the meantime what's
one to do?

Stroller.