Z80 Divide by 10

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jan 29 13:05:12 CST 2008

> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:45:46 -0500
> From: M H Stein

> >Some people get rather upset at the lack of symmetry, and lack of certain
> >instructions that might be handy, such as a load immediate into segment
> >registers.

> And some people just get rather upset by _anything_ that doesn't match
> their view of how the world "should" be...

Sigh.  As long as it's possible to "get there from here", I don't
much mind how an instruction set's laid out.  I'll learn it and learn
to work around the problem areas, such as the lack of an inclusive-OR
instruction on the CP1600, or the weird setup of the RCA COSMAC, or
the asymnetry of <fill in the blank>'s instruction set, or the lack
of a hardware stack on a PDP/8.

If you want strange and asymnetric, try working with a few samples of
the current crop of microcontrollers.  You can get used to anything.

In a way, this line of discussion reminds me of an Inuit criticizing
the Tongan language for the lack in the vocabulary for different
types of snow.  You work with what you've got.

Cheers,
Chuck