A sign of the times

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 13:36:45 CST 2008

> This thread illustrates the wide range of interests (and opinions) on
> this list, which is one of the reasons the list is a valuable resource.
>
> I find it interesting that the general consensus is that no one collects
> printers. IMHO a vintage computer collection is not complete without
> peripherals for I/O. How can the usefulness (or even the limitations) of
> a vintage computer be demonstrated without a printer? (ignoring game

While I would agree there are applications for which a printer is
essential, there are equally things you can do with a (classic) computer
that do not need hard copy output.

> machines here) Nevertheless, the most collected printers are the ones
> tied to collectible vintage machines with odd interfaces, such as HPIL
> or HPIB. Many manufacturers, such as Commodore and Apple, made printers

Well, if I want to print from one of my old HP machines I'd better have
an HPIB printer (convincing soem of them to sue a different interface is
an 'entertainmant'. If I want to print out a program listing from my
9830, I'd better make sure the 9866 is working properly, and so on.
Whereas my TRS-80s can print on just about any Centronics-interfaced
printer.

> for their machines. An early Mac needs an AppleWriter next to it. How
> can you have a DEC collection without a DEC printer running over
> DECconnect or (better) DECNET?

Err, what's wrong with a dedciated printer with it's own Omnibus, Unius
(or even Qus) card?