"CP/M compatible" vs. "MS-DOS Compatible" machines?

Eric J Korpela korpela at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 31 11:20:22 CST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 2:06 AM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> As a matter of fact, if you didn't know any better, you'd have
> sworn that someone took CP/M 2.2 and ported it to the 8086.

Knowing better isn't required, because that is exactly what was done.
You could generate exact QDOS code sequences by running Intel's 8080
to 8086 translator on disassemblies of CP/M code. Patterson may not
have used the translator, I wasn't there...  If not, he was almost
certainly looking at CP/M code when he was writing QDOS/SCP-DOS.

MS-DOS 1.0 was more CP/M 2.2 compatible than CP/M-86 was.