MPI floppy drive service manual

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 17:16:51 CST 2008

There is currently an HP9826 in bits on my bench, this machine
incorporates a single 5.25" floppy drive. Now must such machines used
Tandon TM100-2As (slightly modified to HP spec), but this one has a
different tye of drive. A label on it says :

Magnetic Peripheals Inc
(A Control Data Company)
P/N 77711807

I am looking for a servicv manual for this drive, in particular
_mechanical_ information.

Looking at the drive, all the electronics (inclduing the spindle motor
speed cotnrol) is on one PCB on top. The spindle motor is the normal
motor + tachogenerator at the rear left corner, driving the spindle by a
blet on the underside. The head postiioner stepper motor is at the rear
right corner, shaft vertical with a taut-band mechanism to move the
heads. To the right of the stepper motor drum, attached to extensions of
the head carriage, is some sort of damper unit.

The PCB might be HP special. In particualr there is a header connector to
link up an external drive in-use LED. But I susepct it's closely related
to a standard MPI drive.

I need to know how to dismantle the band mechnaism to remove the heads,
and als what to do about the damper which is leaking grease onto the
chassis (!).

Does anyone recognise that drive mechanism and know where I could find a
service manual. I've not found anything on-line yet.

Also, does anyone have a proper data sheet for the MC3470 (disk read
amplifier etc). The only one I can find on the web is the NTE one which
doesn't have that much information in it.