Commodore 64 Power Supply

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Jul 2 11:40:27 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 03:50, Jim Brain wrote:
> I could swear, though, that the older non-serviceable 64 PSUs  are not
> switchers.

Yup.  I did take a couple of those apart,  though eventually I decided that it
just wasn't worth the hassle to try and get past all that potting compound,
and what's in there is a fuse (!),  a 5V regulator running of a bridge,  etc.
like you'd expect for a simple linear supply.

One of the funnier aspects of it is that there were some where the heatsink
for the regulator went along one short side and both long sides,  and others
where the heatsink only went partway along the long sides,  I guess they
figured they could cut corners there too?

When we had the shop we had such a pile of those that at one point I used to
joke about how I was gonna stick 'em all together and make a lawn sculpture
for them down there in West Chester...

-
M Dakin