Colorado Memory Systems Jumperless Tape Controller

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jul 2 13:48:45 CDT 2008

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 06:57:09 -0700
> From: "Glen Slick"

> The Colorado Memory Systems Jumperless Tape Controller 026-328 PCB has
> a copyright date of 1990, which predates the ISAPNP specification by 4
> years so it must use a proprietary configuration method.

Argh--bad memory bit--wrong floppytape controller!  Yup--CMS used
their own configuration protocol.  Linux has a routine that's used by
the ftape driver called fc-10.c that probes for the  FC-10 and FC-20
controllers.  I'm not sure if you have an FC-10, but it might be
worth a try.  The FC-20 that I have in front of me is PCB 026-121.
I've got an FC-10 somewhere, but it'll take some time to dig it out
if you're interested.  FWIW, the FC-20 uses an Intel 82078 FDC to get
2Mbps.

Now that I think about it, the FC-10 indeed wasn't PNP; you had to
use a configuration program to set the I/O, IRQ and DMA options.
Programs wanting to use the card simply probed a known range of I/O
addresses to determine what the setup was.

> If it supports FM that would make it useful.

Maybe--it depends on the date code of the 82077AA.  Earlier ones
support FM fully; later ones don't.  If the 82077AA is in a PLCC
socket, you can replace it with the National equivalent (8477?) to
get full FM support.

But IMOHO, getting an FC-10/20 to work as a generic floppy controller
seems like too much work to me.

Cheers,
Chuck