"first" computer on the internet

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 23:40:47 CDT 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008 14:03, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2008, at 19:53, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > Hey,  anybody else out there remember fidonet?
>
> Most certainly!
>
> I dialled into a BBS to get my email, and also access to several
> usenet groups. This was my internet (Internet?) access until I went to
> university and got direct access via their Unix workstations at the
> faculty, and a little later via dial-up shell access at home. (Still
> through the university servers; public ISP's didn't surface in the
> Netherlands for another year or so.)

Heh.  I *ran* a fido-internet gateway for a bit.  And had a dialup shell
account to the guy who was feeding the newsgroups as well.

There were some appliance operators in those days,  but everything I ran used
config files that I had to edit and it was an interesting chore to get all
the bits working with each other and then batch files and whatnot to tie it
all together...

Much more "technical" than most of my employment has been over the years,
unfortunately.

I was 1:270/615 when I stopped,  and various other node numbers along the way.
Also NC270,  and moderated as many as eight echos at one time.  Way too much
of that stuff shows up in archives still when my last name gets punched into
google.  :-)

-
M Dakin