Pointless question...

David Kane davidfrkane at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 02:02:05 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2008 at 22:08, Scanning wrote:
>
> Crikey, I couldn't afford enough fiber to recirculate a megabit!
> Let's see--I'm after a 10MHz bitrate and the speed of light through
> glass is about 2.00x10**8 m/sec...
>
> Think of the logic speed that would be required to keep track of
> position of any given bit within the loop... !
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck

1000000 bit on copper wire would occupy about 50000 metres of the stuff to
rely on the propagation delay to store the data. How about you do a serial
to 8 bit parallel conversion on the data then transmit it in parallel over 8
by 200ish metre cables then re-serialise the data at the other end. Or even
don't bother with the serialisation and leave it as a byte wide delay line
and then you don't have to stress on the logic speed issue.
David