Can anyone identify this 9-track drive?

Josh Dersch derschjo at msu.edu
Tue Jul 29 17:49:10 CDT 2008

I picked up an old 9-track drive and thus far I've been unable to
identify what, precisely, it is.

I have a couple of pictures at: http://yahozna.dyndns.org/scratch/9-track

It has no manufacturer or brand information on it other than an
"Interface Data, Inc." label on the front and a label on the back
indicating that it is Model No. 9946.  I can't find any information at
all on the 'net going by this information.  I'm guessing that it's a
rebranded drive.  It is a desktop unit, horizontally mounted and
self-threading.  As far as I can tell from examining it and fooling
around with the front panel buttons it has a SCSI interface and does
1600 and 3200bpi.  In the back of the unit are 5 slots, 4 of which are
filled with cards.

It appears to power up fine, but I can't get it to show up on the SCSI
bus when hooked to a PC -- I don't know if the interface is broken or if
there's some configuration I need to do.

Any ideas?  I'd like to find a manual for it so I can figure out what it
can do and how to configure it.

Thanks as always,
Josh