MicroVax 3900 current draw and heat output?

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 07:50:20 CDT 2008

I'm in the process of thoroughly cleaning my MicroVax 3900 in preparation for installing it in my upstairs computer room. This will be the only "big"* machine up there, all the rest of the iron lives in my semi-finished basement computer room. (concrete floors, plenty of headroom, easy power installation...).

The problem is, that my upstairs computer room has always had a bit of a problem with heat and power. I'm installing a second 15amp circuit, but heat dissapation will be limited to the central air conditioning and ceiling fan.

So, what I'm wondering is... how much power will a MicroVax 3900, with two RA90's, draw?

And similarly, how much heat will it put out?

Thanks!

-Ian

* Note how I put "big" in quotes. I know that a MicroVax 3900 is not a big machine, compared to, say, most of the other Vaxen and stuff I own. But, it's bigger than an SGI Octane, it's bigger than a Macintosh, and it's bigger than the PC's and all the other boxen that live upstairs. So, comparatively, it's "big". Ironically, however, I think it's smaller than my printer.