powering up older machines - is it safe?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 21:46:38 CDT 2008

> To be honest, I enjoy the checking prior to use just as much as I do actually
> using the system (I'm the same way with any vintage machinery - there's just
> as much fun to be had in problem determination / fixing as there is in
> actual use)

I'm inclined to agree with you. Quite often, once I've got a machine
working (it'll boot the OS, run standard applications, all peripherals
work, etc) i tend to lose interest in it and move on to some other
project (which might well be an add-on board or peripheral for said
machine, of course).

Tracking down a nastly logic fault is something I enjoy.

I don't really enjoy programming that much, and if I do want to write a
program, I suspect I've got better tools on this (ancient) PC than on
most of my classics...