non-CP/M Z80 board

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Jun 18 10:33:50 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 09:24, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> >> IIRC, when there was only the NMOS Z80/Z80A parts, this was one of
> >> the reasons for the popularity of the Intel 8085.  You could put
> >> together a functional system for a dedicated application with some of
> >> the made-for-8085 peripherals (e.g. 8155, 8355, 8755), with a very
> >> low chip count compared to what's needed for an equivalent Z80
> >> implementation.
> >
> > Are those parts even around any more though?  Easy enough to find?
> > I haven't looked in a while...
>
>    They're all over the place.  I have at least one tube of *brand
> new* NMOS Z80 (not-A) chips here...cost me all of three bucks on eBay
> in '06 or so.  Need any?

Those I probably have some of,  though I'll have to do some digging to be
sure.  The non-A version only ran at what,  2.5 MHz?

I was actually referring to those 8085-family parts up there,  but I don't
have a whole lot of enthusiasm for that part these days,  unless I want to go
for low chip count for some specific application.

I'm not remembering where the heck I got it,  but somewhere I had a brown
paper bag (!) with a couple or three slabs of black foam in it that were
loaded on both sides with CPU and other Z80-family parts.  One of these days
I need to find that and see exactly what I've got.

I suspect that where I'm probably going to come up short is in finding a
sufficient quantity of 40-pin wire-wrap sockets to build this with.   :-)

-
M Dakin