New to VAX (4000/200)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. curtis at hawkmountain.net
Thu May 1 21:42:01 CDT 2008

Glen Slick wrote:
> Curt,
>
> I also have a 4000-200.  There are faster desktop 3100 and 4000
> models, but I think it's kinda cool having the big Q-bus box to tinker
> with.

M7622-AT boards aren't
> too expensive on eBay at times, but then you have to pay for shipping
> too and that adds up.

Yes, but would M7622-AE from Microvax III work in a VAX 4000/200
(my same size module is M7622-AT) ?????

> You don't have an ethernet board?  Look for a M3127-PA DESQA-SA or a
> M7516-PA  DELQA-S.  They can be cheap at times on eBay.

I have a separate ethernet board (DEC) that came with it but wasn't in it.
Does the KA660 have on board ethernet, or no ?  (I didn't even think to
look)

> Don't know anything about a SI-SC 1000.  Power up the 4000-200 to the

> figure out what address(es) the SI-SC 1000 is at and whether it is
> MSCP or TMSCP, or both.  If it is MSCP it might support booting from a
> SCSI CD-ROM.  You could also look for a M5967 KZQSA which will support
> booting from a SCSI CD-ROM.
>
> For the CXA16 and CXY08 you need breakout cable sets.  I forget what
> the part numbers for those cables are.
>
> An RF72 is 1GB, RF73 is 2GB, RF74 is ~4GB.  They might all work fine
> on a 4000-200 with VMS7.3.

Anyone have any DSSI drives 1G or larger for me to expand my storage with
(cheap to free is best :-) ) ?

> A TF70 is a DSSI TK70.

Does the 4000/200 support TF70 (if so, why did they ship it with a TK70
and TQK70
controller (presuming it was shipped with them... I don't actually know
that it was)) ?

Anyone have a TF70 (or other DSSI tape drive) (same cheap to free
requirement :-) ) ?

I'd like to max the memory... anyone have memory boards for a 4000/200 ?

Thanks,

-- Curt