Interconnecting classic computers

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat May 10 03:03:54 CDT 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:55:51 +0100 (BST)
ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:

> Must work over a distance longer than the RS232 spec allows (i.e. the
> answer is probably not 'A long RS232 cable' :-)).
>
> Prefereably no cables at all.
Build two RS232 to Ethernet translators using e.g. this:
http://www.lochraster.org/etherrape/
(Atmel AVR microcontoler based SBC with various interfaces like RS232,
Ethernet, I2C, IR, ... Completely open with shematics and software
source.)

If you got it to work with an Ethernet cable between them replace the
cable with a pair of cheap, used 11 MBit/s wireless accesspoints in
bridging mode. (I.e. the accesspoints are transparent to the Ethernet.)
--

tsch__,
       Jochen