Minimal CP-M SBC design

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat May 10 20:20:36 CDT 2008

Roy wrote:
> I haven't measured them but I do have about four or so HD6303Y (Hitachi
> CMOS 68xx variant with bunches of built-in peripheral stuff) that's in a
> package like that.  I managed to score *one* socket of the wire-wrap
> variety as a sample at some trade show I was at years ago,  but am not
> 100% sure that it's standard 0.025" wrap posts,  in which case I'm still
> screwed on being able to do anything with them.

All the WW shrink-DIP sockets I've seen used standard 0.025" square posts.
Example:  Mill-Max p/n 127-93-664-41-002000 (two level) or
127-93-664-41-003000 (three-level).  They cost over $20 each though,
and they're not stocked by the distributors, so you'd have to order at
least 56 pieces.

If I really wanted to wire-wrap to a 64 SDIP, I'd get a non-WW SDIP
socket, which are readily available and relatively inexpensive, and plug
that into 64 individual WW socket pins.  You can either buy the WW
socket pins separately, or just remove them from normal WW DIP sockets.

In the past, I've made my own WW PGA sockets by knocking the pins out
of normal WW DIP sockets (by putting a copper tube over the pin, then
hitting it with a hammer), then pressing those into perf board with the
holes drilled out to just less than the pin diameter.  I think Richard
Ottosen came up with that method.

Eric