Another classic comp job

Roger Holmes roger.holmes at microspot.co.uk
Tue May 13 05:15:11 CDT 2008

> Message: 22
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:57:16 -0500
> From: "Jason T" <silent700 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Another classic comp job
> To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan at snarc.net>
> wrote:
>> Dave, are you not familiar with RAMAC?
>

> Could they really still have a running RAMAC?

Why not? Early computers were built to last, some still are but
competitive pressure means 'commodity' machines seem to be lucky to
last more than twice their (UK) legal one year warranty period.

My (1962) 1301 can even still read the magnetic tapes which were last
written in the 1970s and the drums still had the bootstrap program on
the write protected bands (of similar age) once we had got the timing
logic adjusted back to specification.

When designing something as revolutionary as RAMAC, they would over
engineer and only in later designs start paring things down. A few
revolutionary designs do of course have weak points and they either
don't make it past prototype stage or the market soon finds the
weakness and stops buying them.