Osbourne OCC1 problem

Rik dr.emiel at xs4all.nl
Wed May 14 14:23:59 CDT 2008

Ade,

I don't know the internals of the Osborne but can help you with some repair
rules of thump .
First step, is checking the boards visual for corosion and bad solder joints
(crystaline with a round marking in the solder) good joints are shiny and
curved, if you don't trust one remove the old solder and resolder.
And of cause scheck the board for burned and broken components
Second step, is to locate the power supply and check the voltages with a
multimeter, after that you check them with the scope for ripple and spikes.
Typical PSU should have no more then 100-300mV ripple spikes and noise.
If there is a lot of noise or spikes check the decoupling Elco's and
tantalium C's if you have a lot of ripple that indicates a bad ripple elco
in the PSU.
Sometimes placing a few 200nF C's over the +5V rejects a lot of noise and
will give you a good indication were to look (decoupling C's)
Third, check components for heat development, heated components indicates
shortcuts.
When old electronics is stowed away in storages for a long time, elcos are
going to degrade and eventualy won't work at all.
The picture your showing indicates a  fault in the horizontal sync circuit
of the video, pausible cause degraded elco's.
This also can be the cause at a bad startup due to a short reset time, witch
would be caused by a elco with a too low capacity.

Rik