Osbourne OCC1 problem - progress 2....

Ade Vickers javickers at solutionengineers.com
Tue May 20 12:34:24 CDT 2008

OK, now the wobbly video fault's gone away - hurrah! Of course, this could
be because the machine's been on for longer than it has been in years;
perhaps it was a thermal issue. When powering off/on, I notice a little
flicker of crazy-video now, then it settles again. Maybe I'll leave it
switched off for 5 mins & see what happens.

MEMTEST still reports the same memory errors, however, thus:

ADDRESS: 4081  BAD BITS: 08
ADDRESS: 40C1  BAD BITS: 08
ADDRESS: 4181  BAD BITS: 08
ADDRESS: 41C1  BAD BITS: 08

etc., through to:

ADDRESS: 6481  BAD BITS: 08
ADDRESS: 64C1  BAD BITS: 08

Memtest itself runs a number of different tests; it's currently crashing or
resetting the machine at random intervals. Longest successful test lasted
about 1/2hr (successful insofar as it didn't crash). Now running for 2-3
mins before crashing... Note: This is memtest only, I've not tried any other
programs yet...

Hey ho, more testing to go...

If the video prb is thermal, I'm still guessing it's related to one of the
mainboard chips, rather than the monitor itself (given that it will display
random characters, rather than what I'd call analogue effects). Anyone got
any clues as to which one? I'm also wondering if it's a RAM select chip,
rather than the RAM itself?

Cheers!
Ade.

Checked by AVG.