Atari 1050 diskette drive repair

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue May 27 16:10:25 CDT 2008

> Anyone have experience with these?  I have a defective unit (purchased on
> eBay - sad story) that tries to bash the drive head to death against the
> Track 0 stop when turned on.  I picked up the service manual and
> schematics and was able to verify that the Track 0 sensor was working and
> that that NTRACK00 (pin 34) on the 2793 FDC chip is pulled high at that
> point.

I don;t have the data sheet in front of me (and I certainly don't haev
the 1050 schematics here), but if that signal name 'NTRACK00' means the
obvious thing, it's _not_ Track0. In other words it should be low when
the head is on track0.

If it's not, it would explain why the drive is hammering the head into
the end stop, looking for a track 0 signal.