Transformer repairs

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat May 31 19:43:16 CDT 2008

On Saturday 31 May 2008 11:30, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> > > And I've heard people talk about banning incandescent bulbs
> > > entirely.
> >
> > Indeed...
>
> I don't see what the problem is.  There are much more efficient methods
> of lighting, than the one that Edison worked a lot on over 100 years
> ago.

The problem is that there are applications for these bulbs that aren't
primarily lighting, and we're not going to be able to get a hold of them.

> In addition to compact fluorescent lamps, you can get LED-based bulbs,
> halogen lamps (which still are effectively incandescent, but a bit
> better), and various gas-discharge lamps.

"Better" being a relative term.  Those halogen bulbs have advantages and
disadvantages both.  And while CF bulbs are becoming somewhat common, LED,
and gas-discharge lamps are both uncommon and expensive,  and not similar in
their characteristics (either electrical _or_ lighting) to incandescent
bulbs.  This is gonna cost,  a bunch,  and  it won't work as well (in some
cases) as what's in place now.

Yes,  we have CF bulbs around here.  The one lamp that gets used most is one
that took a lot of getting used to,  because it's a different spectrum.  In
another case there's a fixture here that they don't work reliably in,  and
since we're renting it's not an option to change the fixture.  In another
case,  it's *way* brighter than the incandescent bulb it replaced.  And
they're not dimmable.

-
M Dakin