PDP-8/e and terminals in West Sussex, UK

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Nov 5 22:30:44 CST 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Jules Richardson wrote:
> Chuck Guzis wrote:
> > Tony Duell wrote:
> >> What do people consider to be the 'holy grails' of classic
> >> computer collecting?
> >
> > Do people collect CPUs that no longer have peripherals or are
> > bereft of any sort of software?
> >
> > If so, what is done with them, other than to use them as doorstops?
>
> Collect enough and they do help save on heating bills - there's less
> free open space in your house to need heating :-)

That's not quite true.  Computers have a much higher heat capacity than
air per unit volume, so you probably end up effectively heating the
same amount, you just have a "capacitor" like effect that makes the
temperature change more slowly.

After filling about 1800 sqft of office space to a high density with
computers, the effect is quite obvious.

> (It'd be interesting to do a poll on how many systems each of us here
> has, and how many hours a year each of those systems actually gets
> run for - I suspect the results would be quite disturbing!)

I do not run nearly as much or as often as I wish I could.

Pat