Who wants to help read a Saturn V core stack?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 10 18:28:29 CST 2008

On 10 Nov 2008 at 16:05, Eric Smith wrote:

> Not really.  You'd have thousands of very fine wires, all looking
> identical, that pass through some cores and go around others (on average
> perhaps 33 through each core), and packed incredibly densely.  Even with
> very high resolution scans from multiple angles I don't think you could
> expect to extract the data visually.

Okay, I see.  Regardless--if it's that type of memory, then failure
to read it electrically could use a visual method as a fallback.
After all, these things were assembled (and one would expect,
inspected) manually.

Did some of the S/360 machines use ferrite ROM for their control
stores?  360/40 perhaps?  I believe some also used capacitive ROM
(360/30?).

Cheers,
Chuck