seeking SS20

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Nov 14 13:00:50 CST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>> I think the 20 can actually do quad-CPU; while it has only two Mbus
>> slots, I seem to recall that someone made Mbus modules with two
>> CPUs in
>> a single Mbus form factor.
>>
> It can do quad... Sun had the SM52X (2 SM51s on a almost
> double wide cpu card... you could the put two of them in.
> Downside was you lost 2 sbus slots.  The Sun sold Hypersparc
> module HS12 was a dual 100mhz cpu (I believe it was normal
> width... so you didn't lose sbus slots to go quad).

   Just avoid the SM100 modules like the plague...they were slower
than pissing tar.  You could take an SS20 (or an SS10, or a 4/600MP)
to four processors that way, but they were painful to use.  They were
sold by Sun but based on an early Ross chipset, though I don't recall
which one.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire