DEC Letterprinter 100 -- what are they selling for?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 15:27:30 CST 2008

> From: <js at cimmeri.com>
>

> > Are DEC Letterprinter 100's in nice, working, non-noticeably-yellowed
> > condition worth anything at present?   Or are they pretty much recycling
> > fodder?
>
> Don't know if they are worth anything, I've never had to pay for one - they
> just keep arriving here!

I have no idea what they're worth either. I was given a couple with my
11/730 system... IIRC the Letterprinter is the RO (no keyboard) model,
the Letterwriter is the KSR (with keyboard) one.

> They are useful though, as they correctly emulate a Teletype and allow
> overprinting, which most modern printers don't, but I suppose that's only
> useful if you have an interest in ASCII art!

It's a 9 pin dot-matrix head which is tilted mechanically (a pair of
solenoids shuttling a shaped core to and fro inside the carriage) to give
18 pin resolution in 2 passes. I find them interesting because of that
curious mechanism.