Hard disk material

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:12:08 CST 2008

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
>> I've heard of low-speed, low-capacity homebrew drums before
>
>   You have?  Please tell me more?

I'll see if I can unearth some dates/names. I seem to remember a couple of
working projects based around non-flying heads and mounting of commercial
magtape onto a cylinder for the storage medium. Longevity is obviously
questionable, and rotation speed would be rather limited!

Will's project is very much in a different league, obviously - hence my
interest in how he gets on. To my knowledge, re-coating a non-contact drum
running at 'commercial' speeds (what, typically in the 1500-400rpm range?)
would be something of a first.

Oh, I once read a book describing a homebrew drum in it - I think it was based
around using a tin can for the drum, and the capacity was in the tens of bits.
(My brain wants to say it was "how to build a working digital computer", but I
could be wrong there). I wonder if anyone ever actually built one that worked? :-)

cheers

Jules