5" floppy?.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 26 00:13:53 CST 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> I detest Phillips and Pozidriv screws. They always seem to strip or
> 'cam
> out' when you try to remove them.

   Philips screws were in fact designed to do exactly this.  The idea
was to prevent overtightening in assembly line environments.  Of
course, like many other technologies, they have been abused by people
who didn't know any better, and people seem to wonder why they don't
work very well in these unintended applications.

   This brings to mind what has happened to HTTP (ever wonder why
interactive "web applications" are so clunky?) and email attachments
(ever wonder why some attachments just never get through?)...it's the
same sort of problem.

> My favourite has to be Torx. I have never had any problems with those.

   My two favorites are hex-head and Torx.  But my nemesis is the
flat-head screw.  I'll take even Philips over flat-head screws anytime.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL